The History of Saint-Hyacinthe
Saint Hyacinthe is a city in Quebec(Canada) which started as a village in 1678 with 68 inhabitants. King Louis XV of France gave the lands along river Yamaska to seigneury Pierre de Rigaud de Vaudreuil in 1748. Jacques Hyacinthe Simon Delorme later bought these lands in 1753. He renamed the properties after his saint patron Saint Hyacinthe. The area was left unoccupied until 1757 when he decided to relocate from Rapide Plat due to its hydropower generation capability. The village became a town in 1850 and a city later in 1857.
Saint Hyacinthe’s first railway line was constructed in 1848 which connected it to Longueuil in Montreal. In 1849, the line was extended to Richmond then later to Levis and Sherbrooke and Portland. Its industrialization was slow until 1870 when it became dominant in textile production. Saint Hyacinthe’s population was at 1100 in 1831. In the year 1851, the community stood at 3113 with 4% of the inhabitants being of British origin (highest ever recorded). As of 1900, Saint Hyacinthe had a population of 9210 making it one of Quebec’s most populated centers.
A boy’s college was established in 1811. A convent was founded in 1816 and a hospital in 1840. It merged with the neighboring Saint Joseph, La Providence and Douville municipalities in 1976 which made it one of Quebec’s most important cities.
In January 1st, 2002, it merged with five other municipalities from its nearby suburbs namely Sainte Rosalie town, Notre Dame de Saint Hyacinthe, Saint ThomasdÁquin and Saint Hyacinthe le Confesseur bringing its population to 53,347 people. This merger gave it jurisdiction over rural and urban lands. It is known as Quebec’s food capital due to its industries which specialize in the agriculture and food sector. It also has a high number of research centers and educational institutions where a lot of research is carried out; the area has a large number of students.